The Government of India launched the E-Shram Yojana to provide social security to the unorganized sector workers. The government also launched the e-Shram portal for workers in the unorganized sectors. The e-Shram Portal aims to collect a database of unorganized workers to provide benefits of various government schemes.
The e-Shram portal was launched by the Ministry of Labor and Employment on 26 August. The government provides cash assistance as well as other benefits to the workers under this scheme. Workers compensation benefits are also included in this plan. Before using the e-Shram Yojana, the beneficiary has to register on the official website (e-Shram Portal Registration). The scheme is open to all residents, including laborers, general residents, students and low-income families.
What is UAN?
Every unorganized worker is given a 12 digit number after registration on the e-Shram Portal. The UAN number will be a permanent number, meaning it will remain unchanged throughout the career span of the employee.
How to know your UAN
Step 1: Visit the official EPFO website https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
Step 2: Click on Know Your UAN Status
Step 3: Select the state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu.
Step 4: Enter your PF number, personal details like your name, date of birth, mobile number etc.
Note: Your Pay Slip will provide you the PF Number/Member ID.
Step 5: Enter the captcha and click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’
Step 6: UAN number will be sent to your mobile number.
Step 7: After entering the PIN, click on the ‘Validate OTP & Get UAN’ button.
How to activate my UAN?
Members can activate their UAN by visiting https://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/ which is the UAN based member portal website. To activate his UAN on the UAN Member Portal, the member must have his UAN, mobile number and member ID readily available. Once activated, members can access the UAN member portal by entering their UAN as their User ID and Password, which they generated themselves.
Step 1: Go to the URL – http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/uan_reg_form.php
Step 2: Enter UAN Number
Step 3: Enter any password
Step 4: Enter other details and enter PF account number
Step 5: Receive Authorization Pin
Employees’ Provident Fund: How to activate UAN online
8 Steps to Activate UAN on EPFO Portal
Step 1: Go to the EPFO portal.
Step 2: Select ‘employees’ under the services section.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Member UAN/Online Service’ option available under the services section.
Step 4: Click on ‘activate UAN.’
Step 5: Enter the details, including UAN, Mmeber ID, and Aadhaar number.
Step 6: Request for the authorization PIN.
Step 7: Validate the OTP received on your registered mobile number and activate UAN.
Step 8: Once the process is complete, you will receive a password on your mobile number to log in to the UAN member portal and access your EPF account.
What is E Shram Card?
Workers who successfully register for the e-Shram Portal will be given an e-Shram Card. The card will have a 12 digit UAN number. Employees who self-register and use the e-Shram portal do not need to apply for any other government social welfare program.
Benefits of e-Labour Card:
1) It aims to implement the benefits of social security schemes for unorganized workers which are administered by the Ministry of Labor and Employment and other interrelated ministries.
2) The person who has e-Shram Card is entitled to an accident insurance cover of 2 lakhs under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana.
3) The e-Labour portal will maintain a centralized database of people working in the unorganized sectors.
4) All the social security benefits given under this scheme will be directly extended to the unorganized workers through this portal.
People falling in the age group of 16 to 59 years can register under this scheme. After online registration a person is given a unique 12 digit number. UAN is a 12 digit permanent unique number provided to each unorganized worker after registration on the e-Shram Portal.
- Any unorganized worker or person working in the unorganized sector.
- The age of the workers should be between 16 to 59 years.
- Workers must have a valid mobile number which is linked to their Aadhaar card.
- Aadhaar linked mobile number.
- savings bank account information
- educational diploma
- professional certificate
- income verification
- passport size photographs
How to register for e-Labour Card?
- Go to the official website of e-Shram Portal (eshram.gov.in) and click on ‘Register on e-Shram’.
- Enter the captcha as well as the mobile number linked to your Aadhaar card.
- State whether you are EPFO/ESIC member or not (Yes/No).
- Click on ‘Get OTP’ button.
- Enter the OTP, and the e-Shramik Registration Form will be displayed on the screen.
- Enter your Aadhaar card number, accept the terms and conditions by checking the box and then click on the submit button.
- Enter the OTP sent to your registered mobile number and click on the Validate OTP button.
- Verify your information and then click on the Continue button.
- The preview/self declaration section of the registration form will appear.
- Check that all the information is correct before clicking on the declaration box and continuing.
- Enter the OTP received through SMS and confirm by clicking on it.
- Your registration is complete.
- A UAN card will be displayed on your screen and keep the UAN card safe.
What can you do with your new e-Labour Card in 2022?
There are many other benefits of having E Shram Card 2022 which you must be aware of now. Find out about all the ways in which e Shramik Card can help you by reading our bullet points below.
- Once you turn 60, you will be eligible for a minimum pension of Rs.3000/- (minimum).
- Second, you’ll be covered for everything until age 60 by a full suite of insurance options.
- We offer Rs.50,000/- in insurance coverage in case of accident.
- In the event of the beneficiary’s untimely death, the surviving spouse will automatically become the recipient of all benefits.
- To participate, simply use your eShram Card to make the monthly contribution, and the Government of India will match your contribution exactly.
- If you have E Shram Card or Shramik Card, then you are eligible for all the employee benefits provided by the government. You can check the E Shram Card payment status on the E Shram website.
How to check E-Labour Card Status?
- Go to the e-Shram website. https://labouronline.kar.nic.in/VerifyMobileNo.aspx
- Select the button ‘E-Aadhaar Card Beneficiary Status Check’.
- After entering the e-Labour Card Number, UAN Number, or Aadhaar Card Number, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- You can view the payment status of e-Shram.
Here are some FAQs about e-Shram, according to the Ministry of Labor website.
- Who are unorganized workers?
According to the FAQ, any worker who is a home worker, self-employed worker or a daily wage worker working in the unorganized sector and is not a member of ESIC or EPFO is called an unorganized worker.
The unorganized sector includes such establishments/units which are engaged in production/sale of goods/services and employ less than 10 workers. These units do not come under ESIC and EPFO.
- Are there any eligibility criteria for registration on e-Shram Portal?
Any worker who is unorganized and whose age is between 16-59 is eligible to register on the e-Shram portal.
- What are the benefits of registering an unorganized worker on the e-Shram Portal?
As per the frequently asked questions, the central government has developed the e-Shram portal which will be a centralized database of Aadhaar linked unorganized workers. After registration, he will get an accident insurance cover of 2 lakhs under PMSBY. In future all social security benefits of unorganized workers will be distributed through this portal. In situations like emergency and national pandemic, this database can be used to provide necessary assistance to eligible unorganized workers.
- Does the employee have to renew the UAN card?
There is no need for the workers to renew the eSHRAM card for regularly updating their details, mobile number, current address etc. To keep his account active, he is required to update his account at least once in a year.
- What details can the worker update in e-Sharm?
Once registered, a worker can update his/her particulars such as mobile number, present address, occupation, educational qualification, skill type, family details etc. on the e-Shram portal or by visiting the nearest CSC. Workers can update their details by visiting e-shram portal or through CSC
- Select the matching occupation the worker is currently doing?
The worker needs to select the occupation at the time of registration. It will be based on a two level selection – In the first level the worker has to select the sector (agriculture, automobile, construction, etc.) which is the broadest range of activities. In the second level the worker has to select his activity in the form of business which the worker is currently doing. The activity which is his main source of income is the primary activity/occupation. Any other activity that is a minor but important source of income is called a secondary occupation.
- What is Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana?
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana is an accident insurance scheme of the Government of India that is eligible for people in the age group of 18 to 70 years. It offers benefits of Rs. 2 lakh in case of accidental death and permanent disability and Rs. 1 lakh in case of partial disability.
- How is PMSBY linked to e-Shram?
Workers registered under e-Shram Portal will be enrolled under PMSBY and the premium for the first year will be borne by the Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India.
- What if the unorganized worker moves to the organized sector after registering in e-Shram?
He will get only the benefits defined for organized workers, as applicable to him.
- How will the first year premium for PMSBY be deducted from the beneficiary’s bank?
It is free for the workers for the first year. Hence, no premium will be deducted from the beneficiary’s account.
- Will the second year premium for PMSBY be paid by the beneficiary?
Yes. In lieu of Rs 12 per annum, workers will get a coverage of Rs 2 lakh for accidental death/permanent disability and Rs. 1 lakh for partial disability.
- Who pays the premium for PMSBY for the second year?
The beneficiary who wishes to continue beyond the first year shall provide his/her consent to continue with the scheme and allow auto-debit before each successive insurance cycle year. i.e. 1st June to 31st May for every successive year.
- Are there any financial/monetary/cash benefits after registering on e-Shram Portal?
Right now only registration is being done through e-Shram. Registered workers will be provided with accident insurance cover of Rs. 2 lakhs for one year. This data can be used to provide financial assistance to eligible workers during a situation like national crisis – COVID19.
- What procedure needs to be followed in case of death of the employee?
The claimant should file the claim along with the relevant documents at the e-Shram Portal / Nearest CSC.
15 Can individuals who leave the scheme rejoin?
The insurance cycle operates from June 1 to May 31 of the calendar year. All employees are required to renew the insurance cover between 1st June to 30th June in the same calendar year to continue the insurance cover.