The Ministry of Railways in consultation with UPSC and DoPT has decided that recruitment to the Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS) will be done through a specially designed examination (IRMS exam) to be conducted by UPSC from the year 2023.
The Ministry of Railways has announced that a separate exam for the Indian Railway Management Service will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission from next year.
On the basis of how effectively they perform in UPSC CSE exam, candidates will be shortlisted for Mains exam. The IRMS exam will consist of four parts – qualifying paper, optional subject paper for merit and personality test.
IRMS 2023 Main Exam Details
- The subject set in the IRMS (Main) examination will consist of four papers of conventional essay type questions.
- The first will consist of two qualifying papers of 300 marks each – Paper A on one of the Indian languages chosen by the candidate and Paper B on English.
- There will be two papers of 250 marks each on optional subjects. A personality test of 100 marks will also be conducted.
- Optional subjects are Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Commerce & Accountancy.
- The syllabus of the above qualifying papers and optional subjects will be the same as that of the Civil Services Examination (CSE).
- Common candidates for CSE and IRMS (Mains) examination can choose any one of the above mentioned optional subjects or can choose different optional subjects for both these exams.
- The language medium and script for the qualifying papers and optional subjects will be the same as in the CSE (Mains).
IRMS 2023 Age Limit
The age limit and number of attempts for different categories will be same as in CSE.
IRMS 2023 Qualification
The minimum educational qualification for IRMSE would be a degree in Engineering, Commerce or Chartered Accountancy.
IRMS 2023 Details
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will prepare and declare the list of finally recommended candidates from the four disciplines in the order of merit. The ministry said that the preliminary and main written round of both CSE and IRMSE will be conducted simultaneously.
List of Subjects IRMS
- Civil Engineering,
- mechanical Engineering,
- Electrical engineering
- Commerce & Accounts
One Indian language to be chosen by the candidate from among the languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution – 300 marks.
- English – 300 Marks
Papers to be counted for merit
- Optional Subject – Paper 1 – 250 Marks
- Optional Subject – Paper 2 – 250 Marks
Personality Test – 100 Marks
IRMSE 2023 Eligibility
For IRMS exam, a candidate must have at least a degree in Engineering, Commerce or Chartered Accountancy. The age limit for different categories and the number of times to appear in the exam will be the same as in the UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE). Ministry of Railways told about this that IRMSE exam will be conducted along with CSE. IRMSE will be notified along with CSE.
At the same time, UPSC has released its schedule for the 2023 exam. As per the annual exam 2023 schedule, UPSC CSE Prelims Exam 2023 notification is to be held on 1 February and the exam is to be held on 28 May.
IRMS 2023: Exam Pattern
- Paper 1 – (Paper A) It will be based on one of the Indian languages chosen by the candidate from the languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution. It will be for 300 marks.
- Paper B – It will be for English language for 300 marks
- Part 2- It will be based on the optional subject chosen by the candidate. Each paper will be of 250 marks
- Paper 3 – It will be personality test carrying 100 marks