Doctors Without Borders India (DWBI) aims to provide medical assistance without any kind of discrimination including offer medical assistance during natural and manmade disasters through establishment of healthcare centers, implementing medical programs for critical illnesses on its own or with partners, working for creating medical awareness and capacity building and carry out/sponsor research to provide strategic input on relevant medical treatment options in India.
Position: MEDICAL ACTIVITY MANAGER
Job Location: Patna, Bihar
No. of position: 1
Project: Patna Advance HIV
Duration: 01 year (Renewable)
Start Date: 15 January 2023
Application closing date: 22 December 2022
• Salary Gross (INR): 114460 /- per month (non-negotiable)
• Medical Market Allowance: 22,500 /- per month (non- negotiable)
• 18 days annual leave; 12 days paid leave as per specified list of holidays; Sick/Casual leave of 12 days as per calendar year (pro-rated based on hire date).
• Contributions made for statutory benefit programs such as Provident Fund.
• 13th month salary/Festival Bonus
• Covered under accident insurance.
• DWBI provides medical reimbursement for employees and their dependents as per health care policy.
• A stimulating, professional environment in an international organization.
PURPOSE OF POST:
Defining, coordinating and monitoring the medical activities under his/her responsibility according to DWBI protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINES
Hhierarchically and functionally accountable to the Project Medical Referent
• Coordinating, assessing and supervising the proper functioning of the medical activities according to DWBI protocols, standards and procedures and through the correct compilation and analysis of medical data regarding patients’ health conditions.
• Participating in the definition of annual planning and budget for the project and in the follow up of the programs/ project. Supervising and ensuring that medical activities objectives under his/her responsibility are achieved, reporting to the technical referent any problem arising in the service
• Checking administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (individual card filling, registers, paper exit, discharge, transfers) carried out correctly and according to DWBI procedures.
• Ensuring an efficient pharmacy management and monitoring the rational use of them. In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating future needs. Preparing the medical orders needed to implement the medical activities under his/her responsibility, and identifying and reporting to the line manager, non-medical support needs (material, infrastructure, transport, etc.)
• Coordinating and monitoring the daily working plan of the team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves).Participating in shifts and replaces a doctor, if necessary
• Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
• Participating in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc).
CONTEXT SPECIFIC ACCOUNIBILITIES
Patna Project context:
MSF in collaboration with MoH (BSACS and NACO) has set up a inpatient facility in a district hospital, Guru Gobind Secondary Hospital (GGSH), Patna, to provide care and treatment for patients with advanced HIV disease with special attention to those with life threatening conditions. The package of care includes screening, diagnosis and treatment of opportunistic infections including TB/DR-TB, Visceral Leishmanisis, mental health support, access to palliation and nutritional support.
The program seeks to provide holistic care for seriously ill patients living with HIV in order to decrease mortality and improve the quality of life, by applying patient centric principles, including attention to patient´s rights and dignity.
Roles and responsibilities of MAM
• Technical mentoring, supervision and PMS of the doctors, including analysis of training needs and capacity building of the team.
• Prepare the monthly roster for doctors base on differential needs to the project as per the new OCA digital roster system (RITMO).
• Plan and organize the ward rounds, daily allocation of MDs and coordinate medical activities between the medical team together with the PMR and NAM.
• To do night and day shift on rotation basis with the other MAM in order to supervisor the night shift team.
• Identify areas of improvement in his/her team and propose action plan.
• Staff health: process of sick leaves approval, follow up of vaccination status of LRS and medical reimbursements according to the policy of the mission.
• Regular update to PMR regarding the staff health on vaccination status and staff in isolation,
• Work closely with other medical team managers and supervisors of the project (NAM, MHAM, HPAM, Lab Supervisor, Pharmacy Supervisor, IPC supervisor and Medical Data Processing Officer) to ensure quality medical care.
• Revise the medical files of the patients during admission and at discharge. Ensure the medical file is properly filled and organised, including treatment sheets, medical prescription and drug administration mistakes are prevented.
• To support team members to recognize patients requiring palliative care and identifying patients who are dying and require end of life care
• Continue to advocate for a reduction in HIV-associated stigma among local staff and including supporting the project coordination team in interactions with local external actors.
• Ensuring universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control by his team.
• Ensure proper and careful use and check quality of biomedical equipment following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
• Ensure all approved unit-specific or MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented; support in developing new SOPs or protocols for any medical condition as and when needed.
• Support the expats medical doctors in the implementation of the medical protocols and guidelines as required (antibiotic stewardship, tuberculosis diagnosis, OIs protocols).
• Support PMR/Medco in the budget follow up and other administrative procedures as required.
• Advise project medical management on medical supply needs for facility and analyse the TSR and contribute in the MSL process in the project.
• Management of regular pharmacy related issues and challenges along with NAM and Pharmacy Supervisor and report to PMR.
• Support the PMR to steering and implement the Quality Ensuarance Commuty in the project.
• Work together with PMR, MHAM and NAM in implementing the strategy of Palliative Care, looking after people with incurable illnesses, relieving their suffering and supporting them.
• Technical supervision of Laboratory related activities. In coordination with the lab supervisor project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
• Management and coordination of external referrals along with NAM and MD Specialists.
• Capacity building for the ward team, including MSF Medical Doctors and Nurses, in the management of inpatients with advanced HIV
• Advise and contribute to standard operating procedures related to clinical care implementation.
Other Responsibilities and tasks
• Conduct periodic clinical rounds and advise treatment / interventions according to MSF protocols
• Manage advanced HIV and opportunistic infections with a particular focus on disseminated tuberculosis and other common OIs, severe acute malnutrition management, support decisions on ART switches based on Indian/WHO Guidelines.
• To respect MSF internal regulations, the contract and the present job description.
Education • ESSENTIAL: MBBS
• DESIRABLE Specialization or training in Tropical Medicine/Internal medicine/Public health/Post graduate diploma in HIV or related studies.
Experience • Essential: Minimum 6 months of experience in DWBI project as medical doctor
• Desirable: 2 year working experience related to the diploma/degree
Languages • Essential mission language, local language desirable
Knowledge • Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
• Strategic Vision L2
• Leadership L2
• People Management and Development L3
• Service Orientation L3
• Teamwork and Cooperation L4
This job description may be amended in line in line with the activities or evolution of the organization.
To apply for the above position:
Please clearly state which position you are applying for and send CV and letter of motivation to apply for this position (with phone number) not later than 22 December 2022 to email@example.com
Application without motivation letter will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: DWBI values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We do not use any external recruitment consultants.