The process of PAN card application is an easy process and along with that compulsory also as per Income Tax Act, 1961. PAN card application can be made by using both online and offline mode. For the PAN card application, taxpayers are supposed to acquire a special form and need to fill the details required.
Online PAN card application
Online, it becomes easier to make a PAN application. With so many platforms available online, these days for just about anything, even the government does not stay too far behind in integrating technology in assisting people and making application processes for various documents online.
To apply for PAN Card online, visit the website of NSDL where you can fill all the required information.
- Click on the option ‘Apply Online’ on the top left corner since you are a new applicant.
- In the drop-down, you can select one from the three options which are:
- New PAN – Indian Citizen
- New PAN – Foreign Citizen
- Changes or Correction on Existing PAN/Re-print of PAN card.
It is a category selection which includes option such as:
- Associate of Individuals
- Hindu Undivided Family
- Limited Liability
- Local Authority
After choosing your category, there is a need to fill details in the required category. You need to mention information which includes title, last name, first name, middle name, date of birth, contact number and email address for these sections in the application process of PAN.
After providing the required information, you will have to re-type a captcha code and then click on ‘Submit’.
After submitting the information, the website provides you with a 15-digit acknowledgment number.
You will receive the PAN card in the next 15 working days.
Offline PAN application process
- You need to download the form 49 A or 49 AA from the official website of the Income Tax Department of India or can also make a visit to any Income Tax Pan service Centre which is managed by UTI Infrastructure and Services Limited (UTIISL).
- After downloading the PAN Card application form, fill-up the form with all sections in the 08 pages.
- After filling up the application form, you will have to send a demand draft of Rs.107 including tax along with the application form.&nbsp; An additional amount of Rs.887 is to be charged if the PAN application form needs to be sent outside India.
- Make sure that form must be sent along with a copy of your address proof and identity proof. INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance, Infrastructure Limited), 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.
How to make changes and corrections in PAN?
If you are looking for updating the existing PAN Card such as date of birth or name, you can make a PAN application online. The application process for this PAN is almost same as for the application process of the New PAN Card. You also need to submit the documents to support the updates required in PAN.
Dos and Don’ts of PAN card application
- Remember to provide all the information as per the address proof and identity proof you are mentioning in the PAN application.
- Do always get your thumb impression duly attested and signed by a Magistrate/Notary before submitting the form to avoid disqualification.
- Provide accurate information in terms of address and contact details.
- If you are filling the form offline, then fill the application in capital letters and don’t make corrects or overwriting in the form.
- Both Online and offline, do not make use of initials in the first and last name columns.
- Do not apply for a new PAN card, if your old PAN card is lost or defaced.