- Organization: IRC – International Rescue Committee
- Location: Maiduguri
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- International Relations
- Democratic Governance
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, supporting victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States. The IRC’s response includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, General Protection, and Governance. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 700 staff. Together, we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable children, women, and men. In all that we do, IRC strives to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The IRC is implementing a climate change program featuring strengthening of community and government structures, capacity building, information dissemination on early warning and referral services. The IRC will Strengthen the capacities of government authorities, local organizations, and local communities around Anticipatory Actions for Climate Change in Urban Areas, an ERC Project funded by ECHO. This project is to be implemented in the environs of Yola South and Yola North, Adamawa State.
Under the supervision of the Governance and Advocacy Manager, the Senior Governance Officer is responsible for the overall oversight and management (planning, implementation, and monitoring) of the ERC project. S/he will support the Governance and Advocacy Manager in managing and supervising staff. S/he is responsible for ensuring that projects run smoothly by providing technical leadership, supervising, training, and mentoring staff, and coordinating the implementation of project activities. The Senior Governance Officer will contribute to the IRC Governance program and proposal development. S/he will play an active role in establishing and managing relationships with local partners, humanitarian actors, state authorities, beneficiaries and local/traditional leaders and contribute to the achievement of IRC Governance program and IRC SAP.
Project planning and implementation
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the Governance program in Adamawa state through active and ongoing participation in and contribution to strategic planning meetings and development of strategic documents.
- Responsible for the planning and timely implementation of activities in project locations, while ensuring adherence to IRC policies and procedures.
- Continuously monitor project quality; for example, strengthening data collection, reporting, accountability initiatives, and documenting the impact of IRC presence in the field.
- Provide oversight on implementation of activities in project locations in compliance with IRC and donor regulations while upholding rigorous project cycle management standards.
- Conduct context analysis assessments in the intervention locations in collaboration with the M&E Officer.
- Ensure synergy and coordination of Governance programming with other IRC sectoral activities in Adamawa state, in consultation with other Governance staff.
- Work with the Governance Coordinator and Advocacy Manager to contribute to new project development, including both narratives and budgets.
- Contribute and support effective monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and initiatives, and ensure effective data and information management for project.
- Develop monthly work plans focused on key outputs and outcomes in consultation with other Governance staff.
- Carryout major Capacity strengthening activities for and with Stakeholders.
- Ensure staff contributions to project monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance, and accountability to IRC’s target populations.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, capacity strengthening and mainstream governance approaches into all activities as appropriate.
- Support Governance and ERD teams in conducting activity visits in target communities.
- Take part in establishing, overseeing, and ensuring the smooth running of Community Structures and their activities.
Reporting and documentation
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual project reports.
- Ensure high-quality IRC and donor reports on activities, indicators, and achievements.
- Work jointly and in collaboration with the Governance and Advocacy Manager and the M&E officer to consolidate and disseminate quarterly project reports.
- Ensure that all reporting is disaggregated by age and gender.
- Keep proper records of all project activities.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback to the Governance Officer, and Governance M&E officer.
- Support the Governance and Advocacy Manager in supervision, hiring and orientation Governance staff as necessary.
- Contribute to IRC Governance sector team-building efforts, support in solving arising problems and support the Governance and Advocacy Manager in the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure full compliance with IRC and donor financial guidelines and policies while managing the Governance Sector project.
- Monitor budget to ensure the timely utilization of all resources, spending is in line with project timelines and implementation schedules and adjust budget forecasts when needed.
- Develop monthly spending plans in close coordination with the Governance and Advocacy Manager.
- Ensure timely liquidation of all requested project funds.
Logistics, Procurement, Safety and Security:
- Develop procurement plans and item forecasts in consultation with the Governance and Advocacy Manager and coordinate with the Adamawa based Supply Chain Manager for the delivery of items to the field as per project planning.
- Ensure staff compliance with security management rules and procedures (for i.e., ensuring relevant documentation and procedures are understood and adhered to by staff)
- And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Governance and Advocacy Manager, based in Maiduguri
Position directly supervises: Governance Officer
Indirect Reporting: Governance Coordinator, based in Maiduguri
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: M&E Staff, Governance Officers/Assistants, and other IRC staff.
- External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies, Community Volunteers, and CSOs working in project communities.